Thursday, January 11, 2007

Off To See The Wizard?

It happens every New Year for about seven years now. I find myself at a crossroads of hope, despair, celebration and mourning which all lead to… nothing. Lethargic action or non-action because of multiple conflicting emotions. My wife is a new year’s baby while my mother had a homecoming late January. While I look forward with hope towards the new year and celebration of another year with the woman I love, the pain sets in remembering watching the closest person in the world to me suffer and then pass away and I was totally unable to help.

I’m not the only one who has these issues. Millions of people go thru conflicting pain and euphoria during this time of year. I find it interesting that between Thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day the following things happen in bunches: marriage, suicides, conception, resolutions to change physically and emotionally, and divorce. What a quandary!

I’m also pissed and excited. I was supposed to be in Las Vegas right now attending the biggest Electronics convention ever: The Consumer Electronics Show. And this year has already been a barnburner. Plus with Apple’s announcement of both the iPhone and iTV, it’s a wonderful and interesting time for an electronics junkie like myself. Plus, it’s fuckin’ Vegas, man!

But, and yes Virginia, there is a butt (oops, Freudian slip) – I’ve got new opportunities all over the place and my main problem is which road to take, if not all of them. This is the era of multitasking, isn’t it? I have websites to manage, businesses to manage, and a new and fresh idea – Games For Change. Imagine this scenario: video games that bring about a change for social, political and economic impact. This could quite possibly be the next phase in education. I might be on the ground floor of a new way of educating our youth. How utterly frightening is that?

So, I find myself staring point blank at not just a fork but also many forks in the road. So what have I done in the last ten days? Not a fucking thing. Nope, nada. Just lounging around wondering what to do. Well, the first step off the proverbial hump is this. Sharing this with all of you. Writing it down. Seeing it in front of me.

So, what’s it gonna be? Well, I don’t know but whatever it will be it will start today. Get off my ass and start cleaning the holiday away and pull 2007 in lock, stock and barrel. This year is gonna be full of change. What it will be is a road we all will be on.

Pack your bags, kids – the road is usually a rough one…

1 comment:

LOTGK said...

Grab that fork, swirl it around in all the ventures you plan, scoop it all up and take a hearty bite of it all.