Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My Wednesday Nights


For whatever reason, I'm hooked on "Lost" and "Invasion". As of 9PM, I'm camped in front of the tv and God help anyone who disturbs me. Couple of weeks ago, my wife came in the room and started talking and she stated the look I gave her scared the hell out of her. She also said it's been over six years since she's seen that look. Hey, I married a good woman - it takes alot to make me angry and very rarely does she cross that line.

Back to my obsession. I have no idea why I'm hooked the way I am to both these shows. Especially Invasion. There's not much anyone can do for me in the Sci-Fi department anymore. I mean after Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (new series), and the Matrix - plus Outer Limits, the Prisoner and the Twilight Zone - I'm rarely surprised. Invasion suprises me - not with the "big reveals" but the little things. The sudden character changes, the bits of history that pop up suddenly, suspicion and then explainations and then suspicions again.

"Lost" wants that and they achieve it but at a different level. You now expect it from Lost and look for it. Red herrings abound in Lost. They're there on purpose. Just to make the viewer crazy. But Invasion is a different beast even though both shows have been compared. Acutally they are a great tag team. They both make you think and dispel the old adage - believe what you see. With Lost and Invasion, you can't believe what you see, because everything is a lie.

I was once told by a master con-artist the art of the great con. He said, "Boy, it isn't the lie, per-se. You see, all great lies - the ones you believe have one thing in common. The truth. The truth has to be in there somewhere or at least the semblance of the truth. Because it is the last vestage of the lie. Once the lie is exposed, and the lie is always exposed, you still win because they have now abandoned the truth. Without that bit of truth, the secret will never be revealed."

Lost and Invasion - Wednesday nights on ABC
. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Moomin said...

Yeah, Lost is my big addiction, too. Here in Sweden they are currently in the middle of the first season. Of course, that's not good enough for me, so I have to acquire the latest episodes by... alternative means ;)

LOTGK said...

I am also a lost fan, have my own theory of what happened, but Invasion, I don't watch so much. Dunno why, just doesn't hold my attention.

Slade Wilson said...

I'll tell you guys - Invasion took like two to three episodes for it to start to really cook, but now - whoa.... It's really good.

As for Lost - Ben put it best - brilliance.

mercurius said...

The conman...woah! Is he deep or what? Sure his last name isn't Roshi?

mercurius username was taken and it was me??!? Guess being googled as mercurius at modblog counts in here.

So... mercuriuseco

Adela